You ‘ll have a little extra time to find your EIN. The IRS has extended the deadline for 2020 tax filings from April 15, 2021, to May 17, 2021. For residents of Texas, Louisiana, and Oklahoma, the IRS extended the deadline even further to June 15, 2021, in reception to the 2021 winter storms.
When Your Business Needs an EIN
Your business will need an EIN when :
- You have employees
- You are starting a business that is registered with a state, like a partnership, LLC, or corporation
- Your business must pay excise taxes, or you are subject to alcohol, tobacco, or firearms regulations
- You withhold taxes on income, not including wages, paid to a non-resident alien
- You use a Keough Plan or tax-deferred pension plan
- Your business works with certain organizations like nonprofits, trusts, estates, and farm cooperatives
Get an EIN For Small Business Disaster Loans
- Your business will need an EIN to apply for Small Business Administration (SBA) loans, including disaster loans for businesses affected by the public health crisis and economic downturn, as well as the 2021 winter storms.
- The Economic Injury Disaster Loan program is an SBA disaster loan program for businesses with fewer than 500 employees, including sole proprietors, independent contractors, and self-employed persons. Check with your local lender to see whether they participate in this program.
How to Get an EIN
You can apply to the IRS for an EIN in several ways : by call, fax, or mail, or on-line. Filing on-line using the IRS EIN Assistant on-line application is the easiest manner. You can get your act immediately using the on-line or earphone option .
It ’ s a good theme to print out a transcript of the application shape ( IRS SS-4 ) before you begin the application summons. Work through the application questions so you have all the answers you ’ ll indigence .
Beware of Fake EIN application sites. They look like the IRS site, but they ‘ll charge you to file the form. The IRS never charges for this lotion. here are some ways to tell whether the site is the “ real ” IRS :
- Look at the URL. It should be irs.gov, NOT irs.com.
- Most IRS pages have the letters “IRS” and a special symbol with a scale of justice.
- Look at the fine print on the bottom of the page. Non-IRS sites are required to state that they’re not affiliated with the U.S. Treasury Department or the IRS.
How to Find the EIN for your clientele
More frequently than not, there will be an case when you ‘re working through a business document or application, and you come upon a doubt asking for your EIN. What if you can ’ metric ton remember it ? The three best places to find your business EIN are :
- Your business tax return from a previous year
- The original document of your receipt or the document you received from the IRS when you applied for your EIN
- Your state’s business division website, if you registered your partnership, LLC, or corporation with your state
You could besides look for your EIN on early business documents or applications, including :
- A business bank account application
- An application for a business loan
- The application for a business credit card
- A copy of a state or local license or tax permit (a sales tax permit or a fictitious name statement, for example)
- On a 1099-NEC form (or a 1099-MISC form before 2020) you received for your work as an independent contractor or freelancer
- On the 1099-MISC form or 1099-NEC form that you used to report payments by your business
Getting IRS Help to Look Up Your EIN
You can ask the IRS to search for your EIN by calling the Business and Specialty Tax Line at 800-829-4933. This department is open from 7 ante meridiem to 7 post meridiem local time, Monday through Friday .
only the “ authorized person ” for your business can obtain this data. The IRS will ask for your identification, and you must be able to prove your identity as a sole owner, a partner in a partnership, an LLC owner, or a corporate officeholder.
state Business Tax ID Numbers
You may besides need a tax ID phone number in order to pay taxes to your state. even states that have no income tax may have early taxes you ‘ll need to pay. Check with your state ‘s department of gross for more information .
Finding an EIN for Another business
Getting person else ’ second EIN is a more challenge process. Many of the documents with an EIN on them are public documents ( available for public data ), but there ‘s however an overall business about privacy and business identity larceny .
You can look the business up on the EDGAR Search service on the Securities and Exchange Commission ( SEC ) website if it ‘s a public caller ( with shares traded by the public ) .
Your search will be more unmanageable if the company is n’t a public party. You might be able to buy a clientele accredit report for the party, or you might be able to find another public document that includes the company ’ mho EIN .
Your company ’ mho EIN and Business Identity Theft Issues
It ’ second easy for person to get your commercial enterprise EIN, and they might be able to use it to steal your business identity. The IRS recognizes that a company ’ randomness EIN may be the aim of hackers and identity thieves. It suggests some ways to be insomniac for identity larceny related to taxes. Your business may have been hacked if :
- You receive tax notices about fictitious employees
- Your business tax return is accepted, but you haven’t file for that year yet
- You receive bills for a line of credit or a credit card that you don’t have
The best way to check for business identity larceny is to get a copy of your occupation credit reputation. Check it in detail for unexplained creditors and inaccurate or outdated information .