- redemption options vary depending on what specific Citi batting order you have .
- point values can besides range widely.
- While Citi does allow charge transfers to multiple travel loyalty programs, access to this feature again depends on which circuit board you have. And only one of Citi ‘s travel partners is a domestic program .
still, ThankYou® points are flexible and versatile, specially if you have specific redemptions in mind. here ’ s how to make the most out of Citi ThankYou® points.
In this article
Citi ThankYou® points: The basics
You can earn ThankYou® points through an eligible bank relationship with Citi or by paying for purchases with an eligible Citi accredit menu. Rewards can be accessed by logging into your Citi score or by visiting the ThankYou web site. by and large, ThankYou® points can be redeemed for :
- change of location .
- endow cards .
- Cash back or argument credits .
- Shopping at participating retailers .
- Payments toward a mortgage or student loanword .
- charity .
In some cases, you may be able to redeem points toward eligible bill payments. If you have an eligible Citi credit wag, you can besides transfer points to certain travel commitment programs or contribution points with other ThankYou rewards members.
How much are Citi ThankYou® points worth?
The value of a Citi ThankYou point can vary greatly depending on how you redeem it — for change of location, cash back or something else.
There are two ways to use Citi ThankYou® points for locomotion : ransom points through Citi or via a modification airline program.
Booking your travel through Citi
When you book your change of location through Citi and pay for your book with points, ThankYou points are worth 1 cent each.
Transferring points to Citi’s partner airline programs
The claim value you get per charge depends on what you do with it after you transfer, but NerdWallet estimates the overall transfer rate at 1.5 cents per period. Citi ‘s transplant partners are about all extraneous carriers. JetBlue is the entirely domestic mailman on the list, although a few of the options are members of alliances that include U.S. airlines .
Full list of Citi ThankYou transfer partners
- Aeromexico .
- Air France/KLM .
- Avianca .
- Cathay Pacific / Asia Miles .
- Choice Hotels .
- Emirates .
- Etihad .
- Eva Air .
- JetBlue .
- Qantas .
- Qatar Airways .
- Singapore Airlines .
- Thai Airways .
- turkish Airlines .
- Virgin Atlantic .
- Wyndham .
In general, the transfer ratio is 1:1, meaning for every ThankYou® point you transfer, you get 1 steer or mile in the partner program. however, JetBlue is a spot of an exception :
- If you have the Citi Premier® Card or the Citi Prestige® Card, then you can transfer points to JetBlue at a 1:1 ratio .
- For early cards, the proportion is 1:0.8, meaning for each ThankYou® point you transfer, you get 0.8 miles from JetBlue. sol 1,000 points translates into 800 miles .
Cash or cash-like redemptions
Redeeming for cash can cut the value of your rewards in one-half. For some cards, cash redeems at a rate of 0.5 penny per decimal point in denominations of $ 50 and $ 100. And you can ’ metric ton redeem cash into your bank account ; you have to wait for a determine to arrive in the mail.
When you redeem for a recognition on your statement, you may get the like weak prize as with cash second — 0.5 penny per point — but you have more flexibility in how much you redeem for. statement credits show up on your account within two charge cycles. It can help pay down your overall balance, but you ’ ll silent be on the hook for the minimal requital.
Gift calling card redemptions typically start at 2,500 points. They broadly redeem at a rate of 1 penny per distributor point. Citi ‘s ThankYou web site has respective brands and categories to choose from, including restaurants, department stores, travel and electronics, among others.
Payments toward a mortgage or student loan
ThankYou points are worth 1 cent each when redeemed for a check to the lender, and you ‘ll have multiple denomination options, ranging from $ 25 to $ 1,000. You ‘ll have to call 1-800-THANKYOU to redeem for either choice.
You can donate points ( starting at 2,500 ) to charities on Citi ‘s ThankYou.com site.
Shop With Points program
You can redeem ThankYou® points at participating on-line retailers, including Amazon. Points can be used toward a leverage or for statement accredit.
Pay With Points
After you ‘ve made an on-line or in-store out-of-pocket purchase, you ‘re notified via the Citi mobile app whether that item is eligible to be covered by ThankYou® points. If so, you can apply your ThankYou points to the leverage in rally for a statement recognition that arrives within two to three business days. Purchase categories that may be eligible include dining out, groceries, entertainment and department stores, among others. You ‘ll have to set up alerts to stay on crown of purchases that qualify. If you decide to Pay With Points, a redemption value of 0.8 cent per decimal point will apply. That ‘s lower than the industry standard of a penny per indicate.
Online Bill Pay With Points
Use ThankYou® points, or a combination of points and cash, to pay bills via the issuer ‘s on-line circular pay feature. ( You must be an eligible Citi bank history holder for this choice. )
Transfer to Shop Your Way
One of the more strange options allows you to transfer your points to the “ Shop Your Way ” rewards broadcast from Sears and Kmart. The transfer ratio is 1:10 — meaning 1 ThankYou® distributor point gets you 10 Shop Your Way points. But since each Shop Your Way point is worth lone 0.1 cents, that translates to 1 penny per ThankYou® point.
Credit cards that earn ThankYou points
Citi offers multiple products that earn the ThankYou® rewards currentness. here are some of its most outstanding :
NerdWallet rating NerdWallet ‘s ratings are determined by our column team. The scoring convention takes into report the type of card being reviewed ( such as cash back, travel or symmetry transmit ) and the menu ‘s rates, fees, rewards and early features .
Citi® Double Cash Card – 18 month BT offer
- 2 % cash back on purchases ( in the shape of ThankYou® Points ) distributed in two stages : 1 % back for every dollar spend and 1 % back for every dollar paid off .
annual fee : $ 0 Sign-up bonus : none
NerdWallet rating NerdWallet ‘s ratings are determined by our editorial team. The scoring formula takes into score the type of tease being reviewed ( such as cash back, locomotion or balance transfer ) and the card ‘s rates, fees, rewards and early features .
Citi Rewards+® Card
- 2 ThankYou points per $ 1 spent at supermarkets and gas stations ( on up to $ 6,000 in purchases per year ) .
- 1 ThankYou point per $ 1 spent on all early purchases .
- Rewards are rounded up to the nearest 10 points on every leverage .
- Get 10 % points back for the beginning 100,000 points you redeem per year .
annual fee : $ 0 Sign-up bonus : Earn 20,000 bonus points after you spend $ 1,500 in purchases with your circuit board within 3 months of account opening ; redeemable for $ 200 in give cards at thankyou.com. For a limited time, earn 5 ThankYou® Points per $ 1 spent on vent change of location and hotels up to $ 6,000 in the first 12 months and then 1 ThankYou® Points per $ 1 spent thereafter .
NerdWallet rating NerdWallet ‘s ratings are determined by our column team. The scoring convention takes into explanation the type of card being reviewed ( such as cash back, locomotion or symmetry transmit ) and the menu ‘s rates, fees, rewards and other features .
Citi Custom Cash℠ Card
- gain 5 % cash back ( in the form of ThankYou® Points ) on purchases in your top eligible spend category each bill bicycle, on up to $ 500 ; earn 1 % back on all other purchases .
- eligible categories include restaurants, accelerator stations, grocery store stores, select travel, choose transit, select streaming services, drugstores, base improvement stores, fitness clubs and live entertainment .
- 0 % presentation APR on Purchases and Balance Transfers for 15 months, and then the ongoing APR of 14.74 % -24.74 % variable APR .
- annual fee : $ 0
Sign-up bonus : Earn $ 200 in cash back after you spend $ 750 on purchases in the first 3 months of account open. This bonus extend will be fulfilled as 20,000 ThankYou® Points, which can be redeemed for $ 200 cash back.
Citi Rewards+℠ Student Card
- 2 ThankYou points per $ 1 spent at supermarkets and natural gas stations ( on up to $ 6,000 in purchases per year ) .
- 1 ThankYou point per $ 1 spent on all other purchases .
- Rewards are rounded up to the nearest 10 points on every purchase .
- Get 10 % points back for the first 100,000 points you redeem per year .
annual tip : $ 0 Sign-up bonus : none
NerdWallet rating NerdWallet ‘s ratings are determined by our editorial team. The scoring formula takes into account the type of poster being reviewed ( such as cash back, locomotion or balance transfer ) and the poster ‘s rates, fees, rewards and other features .
Citi Premier® Card
- 3 ThankYou points per $ 1 spent on restaurants, supermarkets, vent change of location, hotels and accelerator stations .
- 1 ThankYou detail per $ 1 spent on all other purchases .
- $ 100 annual hotel savings on a single hotel arrest of $ 500 or more purchased through thankyou.com .
annual tip : $ 95 Sign-up bonus : Earn 60,000 bonus ThankYou® Points after you spend $ 4,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening..
Citi Prestige® Card
- 5 ThankYou points per dollar spent on dining out and air travel purchases .
- 3 ThankYou points per dollar spent on cruise lines and hotel purchases .
- 1 ThankYou point per dollar on all other purchases .
annual fee : $ 495 Sign-up bonus : This offer is no longer valid on our locate.
Other ways to earn ThankYou® points
You can purchase ThankYou® points, but you ’ ll pay more than they ’ rhenium worth. They go for 2.5 cents each, and you can buy them only in increments of 1,000. If you do n’t have enough points for a particular redemption, you can in some cases pay the remainder in cash alternatively, which may end up being a better share than buying points instantaneously . Nerdy tip : The Citi® Double Cash Card – 18 calendar month BT volunteer is technically a cash-back credit card, but the card does allow you to convert your cash rewards to ThankYou points at an effective 1:1 proportion. See here for more information .
The fine print
With a Citi ThankYou® credit tease, you may earn ThankYou® points vitamin a retentive as your account is open and current. There ’ second no cap to how many you can earn, although late payments may prohibit you from redeeming points. Unless your terms state differently, points typically expire within three years from the goal of the class in which you receive them. It besides helps to understand your credit poster ’ randomness terms and conditions indeed that you ’ rhenium aware of nonqualifying purchases. For case, some cards earn points in categories like restaurants, but your purchase may not qualify for the higher rewards rate if the restaurant is located inside a department memory. information related to the Citi Prestige® Card has been collected by NerdWallet and has not been reviewed or provided by the issuer of this card .