If you ’ re looking to leverage TikTok ’ s massive user base in building your audience, hera ’ s a expression at the strategies of the social media platform ‘s acme creators .
How to make money on TikTok
Deciding how to monetize will become easier once you ’ ve gained a thick understanding of your target hearing. There ’ second no single set about to monetization, but the highest earners normally maintain a number of complementary color income streams .
Let ’ s go over some of the most common ways users make money on TikTok .
1. Join the TikTok Creator Fund
As we touched on earlier, users who ’ ve built up a substantial take after might consider making money through the TikTok Creator Fund .
tax income from the Creator Fund can vary from exploiter to user, and is calculated based on factors like the size of your audience, the quality of your user engagement, and the frequency of your posts .
To join the TikTok Creator Fund, you ’ ll need meet the postdate criteria :
- You must be at least 18 years of old age .
- You must be based in the US, UK, France, Germany, Spain, or Italy .
- You must have a minimal of 10,000 followers .
- Your videos must have 100,000 video views in the last 30 days .
- Your report must adhere to the TikTok Community Guidelines and terms of overhaul .
The Creator Fund is a great idea if you ’ ve already established a trace, but it can be very exclusive, and steadily payment is not always a undertake .
If you ’ re equitable starting out, there ’ s a draw of other ways to monetize your report. And even if you ’ ve joined the Creator Fund, it ’ s still a dependable estimate to have extra streams of gross .
2. Sell merch to your fans
Selling your own products is great for monetizing about any type of contented. Any creator—whether they ’ re a dancer, singer, or comedian—can take and sell merch to their most loyal fans .
And with a wide variety show of print-on-demand companies, there ’ s a short ton of trade to choose from. You might sell t-shirts, lug bags, pillow cases, hats, coffee mugs, stickers, notebooks—or any combination of products .
Selling print-on-demand products even has benefits beyond tax income. Owning branded merch gives your fans a more personal connection to your work, and every follower that wears your gear in populace creates new opportunities to spread the word about your brand wherever they go .
Get inspired: Unxpectd
invest brand Unxpectd was in the first place conceived as a school project for six high school seniors. But when the group took to TikTok to promote the clothing they were hand-crafting in their parents ’ basements, their lives changed everlastingly .
Unxpectd ’ s TikTok account had its inaugural viral hit in December 2020, and in good a few months, the size of its following skyrocketed. Since calibrate, the team has relocated to Los Angeles, where they calm dye and embroider their own products—when they ’ re not creating bracing TikTok content .
What works about Unxpectd ’ s TikTok explanation is that it ’ s rarely used to directly promote its products. alternatively, Unxpectd invites followers to get to know the post ’ s founders on a more personal degree, bringing them along for its brand-building journey .
turn followers into customers
Inspired to start your own merch brand ? Learn how Shopify ‘s tools empower creators to monetize their audience on TikTok ( and every other social platform ) .
3. Go live and collect virtual gifts
be give is one of TikTok ’ s most utilitarian features for creators looking to monetize their message through livestreaming. Most social networks have a livestreaming feature, but what makes TikTok alone is that it allows followers to show their admiration in substantial clock by sending virtual gifts, which can be redeemed for payment .
hera are a few tips to help get the most out of going live on TikTok :
- Pick the right time. You ’ ll desire to go be when most of your followers are on-line. Check your hearing insights by going to your profile settings and selecting the Analytics check to see when your audience is most active voice .
- Stay live longer. not every exploiter will stick around for the wide duration of your live pour, but staying be long will give more users the probability to log on and catch a glimpse of your circulate .
- Post during your live stream. When you post a short video while alive, TikTok prompts users who see the video in their stream with a associate to your populate circulate, helping to grow your live audience .
- Use TikTok hashtags. As with other social media networks, users frequently browse hashtag pages looking for new accounts to follow. Use TikTok ’ randomness hashtags to increase the achieve of your videos .
- Test your internet connection and other equipment. Don ’ thymine overlook the technical foul aspects of going bouncy. Make indisputable that your internet connection, lighting, and sound equipment are able of being used for prolong periods of clock time .
- Stay safe. Remember that TikTok gives you the ability to filter comments, mute users, and obstruct viewers. Don ’ thymine be afraid to use these features for users who aren ’ thyroxine contributing to the conversation in good religion. No one should have to put up with strong-arm or harassment .
Engaging with users in real clock time is bang-up for building valuable relationships with your fans. Audiences that have a hard connection to a creator tend to develop a personal stake in their success, which means going be can help to boost other monetization streams deoxyadenosine monophosphate well .
Get inspired: Habits 365
Founded by adolescent brothers Eli and Spencer Zied, Habits 365 is a New York–based dress company centred around the mantra that achiever is built by nurturing positive habits—with the brand ’ s optimistic young founders acting as the arrant ambassadors of this doctrine .
The success of Habits 365 lies in its founders willingness to let users get to know them personally. They make frequent use of TikTok ’ s know feature, much posting unretentive videos of themselves working on their brand late into the night .
4. partner with influencers or other brands in the TikTok creator marketplace
One of the most innovative ways TikTok allows its creators to make money is through its creator marketplace. The creator marketplace helps connect the right brands to the right influencers, facilitating partnerships in a way that ’ randomness fast and easy for both parties .
Brands looking to run an influencer campaign are able to browse the market and promptly shuffle through capacity made by creators they can be certain are clear to partnering with brands .
The creator marketplace acts as an influencer agency, letting both sides indicate their willingness to work with one another, relieving some of the awkwardness of approaching influencers that marketers might experience with influencer market on other platforms .
Get inspired: Peace Out Skincare
Like so many great businesses, Peace Out Skincare was created when its founder encountered a problem that didn ’ t have a solution—until he created one .
After struggling with acne and hyperpigmentation, among other bark issues, Enrico Frezza started researching the skin care product development march and building his own stigmatize of skin care products .
Wan na hear more about how Peace Out Skincare partners with TikTok influencers to grow their mark ? Check out our interview with founder Enrico Frezza on the Shopify Masters podcast .
5. Create in-feed ads with the TikTok ads director
TikTok has a long ton of capital organic selling opportunities, but if you ’ ra volition to spend a little to expand the reach of your content, you might consider creating your own in-feed ads with the TikTok ads coach .
TikTok ads appear in users ’ “ For you ” feeds and auto-play like any early TikTok video. With pay ads, you can make certain your videos are reaching audiences that are most concerned in your products .
But the best share ? TikTok ’ s ad director seamlessly integrates with Shopify. That means you can create TikTok ads, select a prey hearing, and rack your ad ’ s performance—all from your Shopify shop .
Get inspired: Luxe Collective
Luxe Collective is a Liverpool-based lavishness fashion outlet offering up-to-date, pre-worn luxury goods for a divide of the price you ’ vitamin d find at early retailers. It was on Instagram, not TikTok, where Luxe Collective in the first place saw huge success growing its sociable media audience .
But in the last year, Luxe Collective has fostered a huge TikTok play along, seeing it grow to closely triple the post ’ s phone number of followers on Instagram .
Luxe Collective ’ s TikTok history is wax of fashion tips, tutorials, and the latest news about all the biggest lavishness manner brands. Allowing the fictional character of its audience to dictate its contentedness, Luxe creates a social media account that doubles as a newsworthiness source for the demand consultation that would be interested in purchasing its products .
6. Crowdfund projects by collecting donations from fans
Crowdfunding is one of the most accessible avenues for creators looking to make real money. You put a lot of clock time and effort into creating content for your fans, so offering an easy, no-pressure way for them to give back is great for securing a even stream of income .
Crowdfunding can take many forms, depending on what type of fund you ’ ra looking for. If you ’ re looking for inauguration funds for a specific project, you could rally your followers by setting up a fund goal and hosting be fund-raise events .
If you ’ re looking to fund a specific project, here are some crowdfunding sites to explore :
- Kickstarter. Kickstarter is the network ’ mho most widely used crowdfunding platform, so the volume of supporters and cognition of the brand is its biggest asset .
- Indiegogo. If you don ’ t have a arrange fund target, you might prefer Indiegogo, which offers a more elastic fund-raise goal, letting you receive funds after your deadline .
- Fundable. Fundable lets startups offer equity in exchange for fund, making it a great tool for finding investors. Currently, though, Fundable is only available to users in the United States .
- Crowdcube. Crowdcube offers companies that succeed in their fund-raise goals exclusive benefits from their collaborator organizations through their Crowdcube Funded Club .
- Crowdfunder. Crowdfunder get companies raise capital through accredit investors, with a network of more than 12,000 venture capitalists and angel investors to connect with .
- Mighty Cause. With no fees or waiting period for approvals before launching your campaign, Mighty Cause ’ s easy-to-use platform is bang-up for quickly creating a support page to collect donations .
- SeedInvest. SeedInvest allows laypeople who aren’t accredited investors to invest in companies on their sites. On SeedInvest, your backers are investors, rather than supporters—so funds are given in exchange for equity. SeedInvest allows laypeople who aren ’ metric ton accredited investors to invest in companies on their sites. On SeedInvest, your backers are investors, rather than supporters—so funds are given in exchange for fairness .
7. Collect “ tips ” from your audience
If you don ’ t have a specific project in beware, or aren ’ metric ton ready to offer fairness to investors, crowdfunding platforms might not be the ideal avenue to take. For a fast and easy way to accept donations, consider using a tip platform.
Tipping platforms are a more personal finance option. They work equitable like a very life tip jar. The choice is available to fans, but not compulsory, and they can donate any amount they like at any time they want .
If this sounds more appealing to you, hera are some great tap platforms to check-out :
- Tipeee. Tipeee doesn’t offer subscriptions, but its strength is in its simplicity. On Tipeee, creators can set up a page for their fans to directly “tip” any amount they want, whenever they want. Tipeee doesn ’ metric ton offer subscriptions, but its forte is in its chasteness. On Tipeee, creators can set up a page for their fans to directly “ peak ” any total they want, whenever they want .
- Buy Me a Coffee. Buy Me a Coffee prides itself on being built for creators, as opposed to businesses. Like Tipeee, its persuasiveness is its ease. Followers are sent to a page where they can purchase as many “ coffees ‘ ” for the godhead as they like. “ Coffees, ” in this character, are $ 1 payments that are transferred to the creator via PayPal or on-line bank .
- Ko-fi. Ko-fi offers tips, memberships, and ways to offer users commissions for personalized content, like a custom tutorial or video chat. Ko-fi offers tips, memberships, and ways to offer users commissions for personalized message, like a custom-made tutorial or video chat .
8. Start a Patreon and put up winnow subscriptions
Crowdfunding works for big projects and tip off is the bare way to collect funds quickly—but what if you ’ re looking to secure a more regular stream of income ? In that case, you might consider using a creator-based subscription platform, like Patreon .
Subscription-based models of income exploit bang-up for content creators, because you can keep individual subscription costs depleted and focus on growing your number of subscribers .
A low-cost subscription of, say, one dollar a calendar month is an comfortable sell to a single, dedicate fan. If you have a set of dedicate fans, those dollars start to add up .
Patreon was the first gear large platform built to let creators and influencers generate tax income through paid memberships from their most patriotic fans. On Patreon, you can set up membership tiers that allow you to offer exclusive capacity to your biggest supporters .
Alternatives exist ( most notably Ko-fi, which besides includes a tip feature ) —but Patreon has the add benefit of mark awareness, which adds a level of confidence from prospective supporters .
If you ’ re thinking a subscription military service might be the best way of monetizing your TikTok account, here are some best practices to keep in mind :
- Be transparent. success on Patreon involves building a high horizontal surface of faith with your hearing, indeed be crystalline about the sum you ’ re making and how your funds are being spent .
- Entice your fans with rewards. Audiences are likely to increase their donations if they ’ re getting something worthwhile in reappearance. Reward your biggest supporters with alluring benefits, like single content and rid merchandise .
- Thank your supporters directly. Make your fans feel appreciated and they ’ ll be more likely to keep supporting your work. Reply to comments, tag users, and give television shout-outs to your supporters deoxyadenosine monophosphate frequently as you can .
- Promote your Patreon profile. Fans can ’ triiodothyronine donate if they don ’ t know you ’ ra accepting donations. Link to your Patreon page from your TikTok profile and mention it in your videos, particularly if you ’ ve recently gotten a set of newly followers .
- Keep subscription costs low. It ’ mho easier to get $ 1 from 50 followers than it is to get $ 50 from one. Keep your subscription costs low and focus on growing your numeral of subscribers .
- Create new content consistently. Paying audiences have higher expectations when it comes to how frequently you release new content. Keep a Paying audiences have higher expectations when it comes to how frequently you release new capacity. Keep a content calendar and release new subject regularly .
Who makes the most money on TikTok?
last summer, Forbes published its inaugural address number of the highest-paid TikTok stars :
Each of these users made over a million dollars in 12 months—but how did they do it ? Let ’ s go over some ways the top-earning users make money on TikTok .
Do you get paid for uploading videos on TikTok?
TikTok does not directly pay creators to produce and upload videos. TikTok does offer fund for creators in the human body of the TikTok Creator Fund ( more on that late ), but payment varies based on factors like the number of video views, the flat of betrothal, and the authenticity of users engaging with the post .
There are some cases where brands might pay a popular influencer to create videos, but TikTok ’ s highest-paid users normally monetize their accounts through multiple income streams .
multiple income streams provide greater security, but when deciding how you’ll make actual money on TikTok, the biggest component is your audience .
First, understand your audience to make money on TikTok
On TikTok, your audience is likely to skew younger. A majority of users ( 62 % ) are under the old age of 30, and a whopping 32.5 % of users are under 20. A set of people tend to think of TikTok ’ s popularity with Gen Z as its defining characteristic, but this could change cursorily .
holocene surveys from Fortune magazine appearance a growing issue of millennials joining the platform, and social networks tend to be most popular with teens at their inception—so a head beginning on catering to TikTok ’ s older users could give you a big advantage in a few years .
TikTok content widely varies. What works for one audience might not for others. The type of message you post should be guided by your consultation ’ sulfur interests, but there are some park features of TikTok content that its user basis is likely to be more centripetal to :
- Authenticity. The most popular TikTokers may range in their talents—from dancers to comedians to philosophers—but what they all have in common is their willingness to be their authentic selves .
- Audience engagement. TikTok offers a short ton of alone ways to engage with your audience—like its Q & A feature, duets, and video replies to comments. TikTok users expect a more “ personal ” touch, so use these features frequently .
- Frequent posting. A consistent stream of contented will keep you at the forefront of your followers ’ minds, add value to your subject in the eyes of TikTok ’ sulfur algorithm, and give you more opportunities to go viral and expand the setting of your audience .
There ’ s no one-size-fits-all approach to TikTok, but having a solid understand of your audience will put you in a better position to find the best ways to monetize your following .
How to “sell” without annoying your audience
The catchy depart of using sociable media to sell products is not overdoing the sum of promotional material. Your fans understand that you need funding to keep creating the contentedness they love, but no one wants to follow an explanation that barely feels like it ’ mho ad constantly .
This is particularly genuine with TikTok, since the chopine itself is so gear toward forming personal connections with your audience .
Users appreciate good content, so it might help to take a “ content-first ” overture. Rather than starting with your sales pitch and build contented around it, create the contentedness beginning and let it inspire the best ways to monetize your account .
Get inspired: Partly Sunny Projects
partially Sunny Projects is an on-line implant distributor shipping stunning California greenery across the country. Founder Sonja Detrinidad started the business as a distraction from the stress of her day subcontract as a mortgage professional .
When she quit her job and decided to work on her commercial enterprise full-time, she started thinking about ways to direct traffic to her memory. And that ’ s when Sonja turned to TikTok .
It didn ’ t take long for TikTok audiences to fall in sleep together with her captivating personality. Sonja ’ s no nonsense access to gardening is just the type of authentic message that absolutely resonates with TikTok audiences .
What makes Sonja ’ sulfur use of TikTok for her business so successful is that she is focused on creating content she knows her viewers enjoy. Sonja covers topics related to garden, efficaciously capturing the attention of the accurate type of follower that can be turned into a customer .
Join the creator economy
Creators are rarely driven by the prospect of making money. Creators are artists—and as such, their fulfillment in creating doesn’t come from the money they make but from the creation itself.
But to be a creator in the year 2021 means a lot more than it used to. Creators aren’t just artists anymore. They’re artists, entrepreneurs, marketers, salespeople, accountants, founders, CEOs—and everything in between.
In the creator economy, stars are self-made—their big breaks aren’t born out of the pocketbooks of wealthy gatekeepers, but out their own creativity, passion, and desire to build something unique.
Time is money—and making more money from your art grants you more time to create art. If the money itself isn’t rewarding enough, the extra time it buys will be.
If you enjoyed this guide, check out our tips for how to make money on YouTube and how to make money on Instagram!
example by Eugenia Mello
Start your free 14-day trial of Shopify—no credit card required!
Making money on TikTok FAQ
Can I make money on TikTok?
Yes ! Anyone can make money on TikTok with the right tools and an effective strategy. If you ’ re looking to make money on TikTok, take a search at the tips above and start considering which strategies are best for you .
How do I make money on TikTok through the Creator Fund?
If you ’ d like to apply to the TikTok Creator Fund, plainly follow these steps :
- Open the TikTok app .
- Go to your report settings .
- Click Creator Tools .
- Select TikTok Creator Fund and follow the prompts .
How do creators make money on TikTok?
The most successful users make money through a combination of tax income streams that can include sponsorships, fundraising drives, merchandise sales, and working with brands and influencers .
How do I get 1,000 TikTok followers?
TikTok is more personal than early social media sites like Instagram or Snapchat
, so you ’ ll want to be authentic, engage with your followers, post contentedness systematically, go alive frequently, and post “ duets ” with early celebrated users. If you ’ re looking for more information on building your hearing, check out our guide to TikTok market .