No Time to Read It All the Way Through?
first name last identify electronic mail In order to become the top seller, you need to understand what the Amazon Best Seller is, and what I call the Amazon Best Seller Badge 3Cs :
chapter I What is the Amazon Best Seller Badge ?
The way to get an Amazon Best Seller badge is by selling the most products within your category over time. The Amazon Best Seller badge is precisely that : an picture displayed in the search results and on the product detail pages for items that are the best sellers in a class. in the first place, Amazon displayed the badge lone for the # 1 best seller in a class, but now several products in a single category can carry the badge simultaneously. In general, there are 100 best sellers in any category. The broader a class ( for example, a class such as “ Pet Supplies ” ), the more competition is in the 100 bestsellers. The more specific the sub-category ( for example, “ Knots, Macrame & Rope Work Craft Books ), the less diverseness and rival. In some sub-categories, there may not evening be 100 bestsellers because the category is so slender. gratuitous to say, getting your merchandise to be a best seller in “ Toys and Games ” is a different enterprise ( and accomplishment ) than getting your merchandise to be a best seller in “ Traditional British & Celtic Digital Folk Songs. ” however, being amongst the clear sellers in either category will get you the same Amazon Best Seller badge.
chapter II A Closer Look at Amazon Best Seller Badge
By Amazon ’ s own definition, the best seller badge seems pretty true ahead. Unlike most Amazon explanations, the definition of Amazon Best Sellers is clear. however, like most things on Amazon, even the clearest explanation can have multiple implications .
Our most popular products based on sales. Updated hourly. Amazon.com
Notice that bestsellers are updated hourly ( sometimes there ’ s a interim of an hour or two ), which means that the badge is up for grab 24 times a day. It besides means that if you have the badge for one hour, you can lose it the next hour. When a merchandise loses best-seller status, be it after one hour or one month, the Amazon Best Seller badge is gone unless the product regains the spot.
- Ranking #1 means that a product has recently sold more than all other products in that category (or subcategory) within that particular marketplace. That is to say, a book that ranks #1 on Amazon.co.uk but ranks #139 on Amazon.com will not carry the badge on the United States marketplace.
- Not all categories display the badge at all times. If there’s not enough sales or data about sales, there will be no badge displayed in that category for that hour.
- Amazon Best Sellers has become a category of its own with prominent placement in the top navigation. This makes getting into the top seller club even more valuable. Shoppers who browse for items, rather than search for specific ones can find gift ideas, see bestsellers, and buy items that they wouldn’t have known about otherwise.
chapter III The Amazon Best Seller Badge 3Cs: Competition, Calculation, and Category
By now, all sellers know that they are likely to sell more — and to sell more at a fast pace — by being 1P sweeping vendors who sell large quantities directly to Amazon. With vendors, Amazon is able to sell to consumers at low prices. You can besides sell tons as a 3P brand-registered seller if you use FBA. basically, Amazon rewards sellers when they do all of the things that make business on Amazon easier and more profitable. You can read all about how to turn the gears of the Amazon flywheel, in our update guide, How to Sell on Amazon. In a nutshell, you scratch Amazon ’ s back, they scratch yours. If you are a 1P wholesale seller or a 3P brand-registered seller with FBA, that you are in good shape. immediately, you ’ ve got to consider the three Cs of being a ace seller : competition, Calculation, and Category.
You can ’ metric ton beatnik Amazon at their own bet on. If your numbers ( prices, account health, shipping rush, ratings, etc. ) are in thoroughly shape and your Amazon listings are optimized, you are well-positioned to compete. Lower prices and “ Sold by Amazon ” or “ Fulfilled by Amazon ” are all green lights and confidence boosters for buyers, and all increase your chances of winning the Buy Box american samoa well as ranking higher in search results.
But remember : there is one seller with whom you can not very compete and gain : Amazon itself. If Amazon has a secret tag offer, that product will naturally be “ Amazon ’ south Choice ” in the class. It will besides likely be first gear priced and it will surely be fulfilled by Amazon. Amazon’s Choice + low prices + FBA = Amazon Best Seller Badge. You can ’ triiodothyronine winnings in a category where Amazon ’ second products have the trifecta of humble prices, FBA, and Amazon ’ s choice. If Amazon doesn ’ triiodothyronine own the category ( like they do with many categories ), competing hard can win estimable rankings and even ( pant ) the best seller badge. If you do win the badge, congratulations ! Do take notice ( and possibly a screenshot ) because the best-sellers are updated hourly. once another product sells better than yours, the badge goes away and another product in the category beats yours. In short, yes, you can have a best seller badge for an hour and then lose it — all without even knowing that it happened . And once the badge is gone, it ’ sulfur gone. Unless your product reclaims the place from square one. sadly, there is no badge for “ Once was a Best Seller ”. so there ’ sulfur getting it and there ’ second keeping it, which, much like the getting and keeping the Buy Box, are wholly different things.
Amazon Best Seller Badge = Amazon ’ randomness Choice + broken prices + FBA Amazon ’ s criteria for determining a best seller is based on sales, but what does that actually mean ?
- Amazon is really good at prediction and it is getting better all the time. Calculating a best seller is based on historical sales (the length of that history is not specified) but it also takes into account predictive elements.
- Amazon is really smart at analyzing the sales-period durations. They are neither fully historical (all sales since start) nor are they so brief as to be based on the hour. If they were only based on sales in that hour, there would be unrealistic spikes in product launches where the item is inexpensive and new.
- The Amazon Best Seller badge is awarded according to sales and only to sales. Amazon Best Sellers are precisely that: the items that sell the most in a category. What will not directly push you toward the top spot are product reviews and seller feedback. Of course, product reviews are indirectly correlated to sales; without good product reviews (or worse, with bad ones or none at all), your sales will suffer.
- This is Amazon. As a seller, you can do things to increase volume and accelerate velocity (running a huge sale or promotion, aggressively running Amazon Sponsored Advertising, etc.), but you’re not going to trick Amazon’s algorithm. Give up number-crunching because it is not ethical or sustainable, nor without repercussions. Be cool and play the game as Amazon intends.
not all categories are created equal. There ’ mho decidedly more prestige, placement, and sales exponent in having the best seller in “ Books ” versus having the best seller in “ Industrial & Scientific Lab Autoradiography Supplies. ” Clearly, there is more contest for “ Book ” than “ Industrial & Scientific Lab Autoradiography Supplies. ” It is boundlessly easier to achieve best-seller condition in a small-niche super-specific subcategory such as “ Cat Leashes ” than it is to achieve such in a larger subcategory of “ Cat Collars, Harnesses & Leashes ” or the even-larger category “ Cats ” or the much-larger ( and infinitely more competitive ) category of “ Pet Supplies. ” then in this event ( as in all intersection listings ), if you are the purveyor of a cat-o’-nine-tails rope and you are pursuing that best-seller spot, you would decidedly want to list your product in “ Cat Leashes. ” “ Cat Leashes ” is the most-targeted class because shoppers looking for caterpillar leashes who ended up hera would be more probably to convert than other shoppers. “ Cat Leashes ” is besides the least-populated category. You would besides want to list in more-general categories so that your product might be found more easily by person browse at a higher level of the class corner ( rather, the CAT-egory tree ). Since most shoppers do not browse by class but alternatively search by inputting keywords, it behooves sellers to get farinaceous with their categories. If you want to achieve best-seller status, but not inevitably if you wish to be found by browsers, then get deoxyadenosine monophosphate specific as possible. But as with everything on Amazon, it ’ s a delicate balance act .
A Note on Categories and Best Sellers
Don ’ thyroxine list a product in a vaguely connect class. Knowing how Amazon categories knead will tempt you to pursue best-seller status by listing in a vaguely connected small class. For exemplar, COVID-19 created stunning demand for face masks of all sorts. The seller of the product shown below has listed a font mask in the class of “ Tools & Home Improvement. ” While one might wear a face mask while sawing new boards for a DIY deck project, it ’ s a stretch to say that the product is a right fit in the “ Tools & Home Improvement ” class. however, the seller put it there and got the top touch and the badge in that class — but not by selling to browsers of that category, rather by selling a relatively cheap pandemic-related necessity in a class where there are expensive ability tools. The detail would be a truthful equip in “ Medical Supplies & Equipment, ” but it faces much more rival there. And the strategy worked, for a moment. But class stretch is not a solid tactic for the surveil reasons .
- It’s misleading and it’s not in the spirit of fair play. Consider a shopper who is legitimately browsing for a heavy-duty table saw and gets the first result … a face mask. The shopping experience becomes frustrating when the customer encounters top-level products that simply are not relevant. Don’t be that seller.
- A frustrated shopper leaving a product detail page after not buying can actually be a strike against a product. If users frequently leave your Amazon detail page without making a purchase, Amazon notices that and considers it a high exit rate, a negative when it comes to ranking. Amazon also measures time on the page and picks up on incredibly short durations such as what might occur if a user is steered to a detail page that is not at all a match to the query. So those are red flags to Amazon. No conversion for you; no conversion for Amazon; Amazon counts that against your product.
- Trying to game the Amazon system eventually catches up with you. If you are consistently taking liberties in order to stuff your products into lower-competition categories, Amazon will eventually find out. Getting best-seller status or even the Amazon Best Seller badge is not worth risking your ranking or selling privileges. If you find yourself tempted to manipulate the categories, ask yourself “Is having the badge for an hour worth the risk?”
chapter IV Is the Amazon Best Seller Badge Worth Pursuing?
There is no doubt that the Amazon Best Seller badge has ocular appeal and carries slant with customers. now that it appears in search results vitamin a well as on detail pages, it is an tied more covet assurance. however, the badge can last for just a individual hour, so the Amazon Best Seller badge may appeal more to seller ego than it does to buyers.
Don ’ t be distracted by glazed objects. You ’ re not a raccoon, you ’ re an Amazon seller trying to run a successful business. Work on doing the things that make your product a legitimate sustainable top-ranking best seller in its legitimate class. Don ’ deoxythymidine monophosphate sweat getting the badge or holding onto it. That will happen when you very are # 1 .
- Focus on keywords and listing optimization and ranking in search results.
- Focus on advertising and conversion.
- Focus on shoppers who know what they are looking for and who choose your product because it best meets their needs and wants
- Focus on customer service and communication.
Keep your eyes on the real prizes : sales, ranking, rate, post recognition, and customer satisfaction and commitment. If the badge follows, all the better, but it ’ s not what very matters .
Looking to Boost Conversions, Accelerate Sales Velocity, and Get Products Ranking Higher on Amazon?
Get all the tools you need to do precisely that in one incorporate app. Start your exempt 30-day trial of Seller Labs PRO .TRY IT FREE