- Finding a job
How To Become a Professional Cake Decorator (With Skills)
How To Become a Professional Cake Decorator (With Skills)
By indeed Editorial Team
June 24, 2021TwitterLinkedInFacebookEmail If you have fine drive skills and creative abilities, becoming a professional cake decorator may be the right career for you. With this profession, you turn delicious cakes into beautiful pieces to admire and eat. Since cake decorate can be quite intricate, this profession requires education and train. In this article, we explore everything this career entails and contribution how to become a professional coat interior designer. Related : How To Write a Cake Decorator Resume
What is a professional cake decorator?
A master coat interior designer is a baking and pastry arts professional who designs and decorates bake goods. They use different frostings and early toppings to decorate cakes, cookies, pies and pastries, often with unique designs or customizations for customers. These professionals can often find employment in retail bakeries, cafe, restaurants, hotels and resorts ampere well as cater businesses, while some start their own businesses from base. Related : How To Become a Baker
What does a professional cake decorator do?
Professional patty interior designer duties may vary depending on where they work, but some of the most coarse responsibilities include :
- Using best practices to apply frosting, fondant and other bases
- Applying flowers, characters, symbols, words and early designs using pipe bags and tips
- Performing quality assurance to make surely all pastries look identical and cleanly decorated
- Collaborating with the baker and director to determine seasonal worker recipes and designs
- Creating custom orders for patrons, such as decorations with certain patterns, types of frost, messages and colors
- Completing extra orders, such as boastfully batches or special consequence orders for weddings
- Maintaining a clean workspace
- clean and organizing all dress tools
- Keeping track of stock and order supplies
- Training newly hired and less-experienced cake artists
- Helping bake pastries, cakes, cookies and other baked goods
Related : How To Become a pastry chef
Skills required to be a professional cake decorator
here are some of the most crucial skills and qualities you can develop to be an effective professional cake interior designer :
- attention to detail : These professionals must have exquisite attention to detail to make indisputable that their designs are fairly and precisely the same. besides, an attention to detail helps them come up with stunning designs that complement the musical composition .
- Time management : patty decorators should have excellent time management skills because they must be able to complete numerous designs during every shift besides balancing other responsibilities. They besides have to complete special orders and customs orders by the deadline in accession to completing regularly scheduled designs .
- creativity : These professionals use their creativity to create arresting designs that complement the broil goods they decorate. They besides use their agreement of color, shape and other aesthetic principles to make the goods a appealing as potential .
- ability to work independently : coat decorators should be able to work by themselves to complete decorations, take custom-made orders, wield inventory and operate on tools and machinery. Since they are function of a larger bake team, they may need to complete their role on their own so that the products are finished on meter .
- collaboration : As separate of a baking team, cake decorators should besides be comfortable collaborating with other decorators, bakers, customers and managers. They may collaborate with fellow bakery staff to determine the best recipes and designs, and they may collaborate with customers to create the patrons ‘ ideal baked goods .
- communication : These professionals should be effective communicators then that they can collaborate with mate baking professionals and better understand the needs of their customers .
- constitution : cake decorators must be well-organized so they can keep their workspace uninfected, cope inventory, path supplies and settle deadlines for custom-made and regular orders .
How to become a professional cake decorator
There are a few different paths you can take to become a professional cake decorator, but here are some of the most coarse steps to pursue :
1. Complete a high school diploma or GED
many employers and department of education programs require candidates to have completed high school or earned a GED. Having this reservation demonstrates your skills in basic mathematics, skill and interpersonal communication. While in high educate, be certain to take courses in home economics, cooking and chemistry because the skills you earn in these courses directly relate to being a professional coat decorator. however, some employers may value experience over formal education, so you may find apprenticeships and entry-level positions uncoerced to hire candidates who have relevant experience but no high school diploma or GED .
2. Take courses on baking and decorating
Before pursuing conventional education in baking and dress, consider taking on-line courses or workshops at a local community center. You can learn the basic skills you need to get an apprenticeship or entry-level put at a bakery or start your own little patty dress business. These courses can besides help you determine if this career path is right for you .
3. Earn a diploma or certificate in baking or pastry arts
Attend a bake and pastry arts plan at a community college, trade wind school or arts college. These programs involve taking theoretical and hand-on courses to learn :
- International cuisines and bake arts
- cook and baking techniques
- decoration techniques
- How to use kitchen equipment, tools and commercial bake machinery
- Kitchen and bakery management
Depending on the program, you may earn an consort degree, bachelor ‘s degree or professional authentication in your field. Having this qualification demonstrates to employers that you have mastered the basic skills of bake and dress deoxyadenosine monophosphate well as practiced many boost techniques, besides. Some employers may prefer this formal education, so be certain to confirm the role ‘s education and aim requirements .
4. Pursue an apprenticeship
An apprenticeship at a bakery, restaurant, cafe or early commercial baking setting can provide you with hands-on train in best practices, master techniques and unique recipes. You typically work as part of a baking team, perform decorating tasks under supervision and aid maintain equipment and stock. Some employers that offer apprenticeships may not require any previous ball department of education or train, while those at premier bakeries or restaurants may only take apprentices who have completed formal train and department of education in pastry arts. Some names you may see for this function include apprentice baker, apprentice interior designer or trainee. You can besides pursue an apprenticeship through a culinary industry arrangement, such as the American Culinary Federation ( ACF ). This organization hosts an apprenticeship and discipline plan that adheres to strict guidelines regarding education, train and knead have earned during the platform. While completing any one of the ACF ‘s apprentice programs can make you a stronger culinary professional, consider completing the 4,000-hour pastry cook program to get on-the-job know and education in best practices, techniques, cuisines and recipes for pastry arts .
5. Get professional experience
rather of an apprenticeship, or after you complete one, apply for roles as a cake interior designer at a bakery, cafe, restaurant, hotel or catering caller. You can besides apply for roles as an entry-level baker and then work your manner up to being a cake decorator. No matter which setting you work in, you can gain know in :
- Executing recipes systematically
- Developing recipes
- Operating commercial baking equipment and decorate tools
- Managing large orders
- Improving design and dress consistency
6. Gain specialized certification
There are many professional certifications you can earn from diligence organizations to refine and demonstrate your skills, addition cognition of workplace sanitation requirements and improve your customer service skills. Earning a certification can allow you to advance your career, qualify for roles in prestigious baking settings, become a kitchen leader or executive pastry chef and increase your earning likely. here are some of the best professional certifications you can consider earning at different points in your career :
Certified Pastry Culinarian (CPC)
The ACF offers this entry-level certificate to those focusing on pastry arts for the beginning time or those who are early in their pastry arts career. This certification allows you to show your cognition and skills in nutrition, food safety, sanitation and food formulation. In rate to qualify for the judgment and certificate, you must have one of a few combinations of culinary education and years of professional culinary feel .
Certified Working Pastry Chef (CWPC)
This authentication is for those with previous pastry and baking experience looking to test their base-level supervisory skills and refined culinary expertness. You can earn this after completing the ACF ‘s Pastry Cook Apprenticeship Program. alternatively, you can besides earn this documentation if you have :
- Four or five years of experience as a pastry chef
- Completed an apprenticeship through ACF
- Completed continuing education hours in pastry arts
- A particular combination of the three
Certified Executive Pastry Chef (CEPC)
You can earn this documentation after you ‘ve gained at least five years of know as an administrator pastry chef or early culinary drawing card in agitate of bake dear, pastry or confect output. To qualify for this authentication, you need :
- At least an associate degree in culinary arts
- A completed ACF apprenticeship
- 100 to 200 continuing education credits in courses on nutriment, supervisory management and cost manipulate management
- Some combination of these qualifications
Certified Master Pastry Chef (CMPC)
This certification is the highest qualification you can earn from the ACF, and it ‘s reserved for those who :
- Can demonstrate mastery of culinary cognition and skills adenine well as baking techniques
- Have earned other ACF qualifications, like the CEPC
- Have years of professional feel or professional rival honors
To earn the CMPC certificate, you must complete an intensive eight-day examination procedure that involves hard-hitting baking assessments in a assortment of challenging techniques and cuisines .
Certified Journey Decorator (CJD)
This entry-level certificate from the retail Bakers of America ( RBA ) assesses your abilities to prepare cookies, cakes, breads, desserts, rolls, pies and other bake goods at a commercial bakery. While there are no education requirements for this certificate, you must earn at least one year of professional baking feel in a retail or commercial setting or a combination of department of education and 1,000 hours of commercial bake experience. To earn this certification, you must pass the written quiz and television submission with a 75 % or better .
Certified Decorator (CD)
This certificate from the RBA is for decorators who have some experience deck and finishing pastries with frost, frosting and fondant, creating seasonal decorations and displays, decorating using particular techniques and using effective customer service. education requirements for this documentation include a ServSafe or equivalent sanitation certification or train. You must besides have a minimal of four years of decorating have in a commercial bakery setting or a CJD documentation and three years of master decorating experience in a commercial bakery set. This certificate requires that you complete a written examination and a one-day, RBA-administrated hardheaded test. You must pass both exams with a 75 % or better .
7. Consider taking business courses to open your own business
If you have little-to-no formal education in culinary and pastry arts, kitchen management or culinary business presidency, consider enrolling in business administration courses online, at a residential district college or a university. You may pursue a commercial enterprise administration certification or diploma to earn skills in accounting, human resources, operational management and early authoritative facets of running a commercial enterprise. Related : How To Start a Bakery From Home
Professional cake decorator salary and job outlook
Cake decorators make an average of $ 31,226 per year. Earning likely may depend on ball education, years of experience, professional authentication, industry and employer type and geographic location. For example, cake decorators who work at a premier bakery in a restaurant, hotel or haunt may earn more than one who works in a retail bakery in a grocery store. All baking positions, including cake decorators, are expected to grow by 5 % between 2019 and 2029, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. This is faster than the national average rate for all occupations, which is 4 % between 2019 and 2029. Please notice that none of the companies mentioned in this article are affiliated with indeed.
Read more: Average Credit Card Debt in America: 2021