Working for Uber can be perfect for students. It can be well-paid and highly elastic. On acme of that, you get to drive around all day making chew the fat with strangers. Sounds pretty becoming, does n’t it ?
One big perk up of becoming an Uber driver or deliveryman is that you can work as many or as few hours as you like. As your own boss, you ‘re under no obligation to stick with it if you find it ‘s not your jam .
however, particularly for drivers, getting initially started can be quite costly. That ‘s why it ‘s so important you have all the facts first gear and consider carefully whether it ‘s a feasible option for you.
We have all the necessary requirements for you here, ampere well as information on how to sign up and excess tips for making more cash while you drive or deliver .
Want to start driving for Uber ? You can register your interest here
How to become an Uber driver
First of all, to become an Uber driver, you need to meet the following relevant criteria :
- Are over 21 years old
- Have a full and valid UK driver’s licence (an EU licence will need to be converted to a UK licence before you become an Uber driver)
- Have the right to work in the UK.
Depending on the city you ‘re based in, the necessitate years of driving experience can vary .
You besides need to pass the adopt checks :
- Full medical examination from your GP
- Complete enhanced DBS check – this examines your full criminal record and checks you’re safe to work with children and vulnerable adults.
You might be waiting a while before you can get on the road, but the Uber drivers we ‘ve spoken to have all said that it ‘s worth the initial pang to get yourself up and running .
Uber driver requirements
here are the key things you need to become an Uber driver :
A private hire licence
The process of obtaining a private hire license is pretty pain-free. If you do n’t have one so far, Uber’s Ignition Programme helps to make the application process american samoa comfortable as possible .
The price of a private hire license varies from council to council, but you can expect to pay around £300, and you ‘ll need to review it every three years .
It can take quite a while to actually receive your license after applying. It could take several weeks, but some of the drivers we ‘ve spoken to said it can be more like three or four months. One Uber driver said he waited six months before he got his through !
A private hire-licensed and insured car
If you already have a car that fits the bill, you ‘re way ahead of the game. See Uber ‘s locate to check if your car is astir to their criterion .
secret hire policy can be steep. But, as with any car insurance, the longer you ‘ve been driving and the safe you are as a driver, the cheaper it gets .
For exercise, the difference between a private lease policy for people who ‘ve been driving for three years compared to five can be a much as £100 per month !
Completed eduMe course
Before you can activate your history and start earning money with Uber, you have to complete their eduMe class .
This virtual course shows you around Uber ‘s app and teaches you how to work as an Uber driver .
Get started here »
Pros and cons of becoming an Uber driver
We spoke to a few Uber drivers around the UK, and they shared some of the perks and pitfalls they claimed came with the speculate .
Pros of working as an Uber driver
here are the main perks of working as an Uber driver :
- Getting paid within one working day of requests with Flex Pay
- You can be your own boss
- No minimum or maximum hours – you work as little or as much as suits you
- Flexible hours that can fit around studying and social life
- Relaxing job if you enjoy driving
- Very sociable job, which is good if you like chatting with people
- Passenger star ratings help you avoid passengers who might give you trouble or leave you waiting around for them
- Passenger ratings also (in theory) encourage riders to behave properly in your car
- More sanctions for bad riders, including only being able to cancel (without charge) within four minutes of the driver confirming, as well as waiting time charges if a driver is waiting at a pick-up point for several minutes
- Drivers still get paid in full when a passenger uses any free credit they’ve acquired as it’s covered by Uber (which is just as well, as some have previously racked up as much as £1,500 in free rides).
Cons of working as an Uber driver
These are some of the worst things about becoming an Uber driver :
- Outgoings are high (Ubers take a 25% cut of everything you earn) so you need to work a fair amount to make a decent income (especially if you’re paying to rent a car).
- There can be a long wait to get your private hire licence through.
- You need to do your own taxes.
- Car insurance is particularly expensive for young people.
- Research suggests that tipping is not common.
- Although Uber does now offer a pension plan and holiday pay (paid weekly, as 12.07% of your earnings), there is still no official sick pay. However, Uber does have a partnership with Allianz to protect eligible drivers from losing pay in the event of injury, sickness, or having a baby. You can find more information about it here.
- Passenger ratings can’t guarantee that they won’t get in drunk and throw up in your car.
Driving an Uber is n’t the merely direction to make extra cash. We have lots of unique ideas, including how to make money with Pokémon Go …
How to become an Uber Eats deliverer
Unlike driving Ubers, you do n’t inevitably need to drive a car to deliver Uber Eats. You can besides use a scooter/motorbike or bicycle .
If you ‘re hoping to deliver by car or scooter/motorbike, you ‘ll need a driver’s licence and fomite indemnity ( including screen for food deliveries ). By bicycle, you ‘ll need a driver’s licence or National ID. No matter whether you want to deliver by car, water scooter, motorbike or bicycle, you ‘ll besides need a bank statement that ‘s dated within the last three months .
many of the pros of delivering Uber Eats are the lapp as driving Ubers, like the choice of Flex Pay. As a savior, you can receive your requital within one working day of your request – great news if you ‘re hoping to make money quickly.
To get started, you ‘ll need to register, consent to a safety screening and upload the required documents. Once you ‘ve been approved as a jesus, you can log in whenever suits you, start making deliveries and watch your bank counterweight turn .
How old do you need to be to work for Uber Eats?
If you ‘re under 21, you might be excessively unseasoned to drive Uber cab, but the good news program is you can sign up to deliver Uber Eats if you ‘re 18 or over .
a long as you ‘re o with getting a bit of food envy, this opportunity ‘s ideal for students .
Get started here »
How much money you can make working for Uber
here is how much money you can make with Uber :
Earnings of Uber drivers
With Uber, your income is based on how much you work. At times when demand is higher than common, you ‘ll earn more. Uber takes a 25% service fee from your do and you can expect to pay around 20 % of your earnings to go towards fuel on top of that .
Rates will differ from city to city, so it ‘s worth contacting Uber for an accurate idea of how much you can earn in your separate of the country .
however, it ‘s worth noting that in March 2021, Uber introduced a pledge to pay all drivers at least the National Living Wage. This means that if your earnings after deductions ( including fomite expenses and other charges, like the Congestion Charge ) are lower than National Living Wage ( £9.50/hour in the 2022/23 tax year ), Uber will top it up to this rate .
Despite Uber nowadays recognising its drivers as ‘workers ‘, they ‘re still regarded as freelance for tax purposes. thus, as an Uber driver, you ‘d have to set aside your own 20% income tax and declare it in a self-assessment tax rejoinder in April each year .
Need more information on UK taxes ? Check out our scout to tax facts .
How to make even more money as an Uber driver
many Uber drivers say they will work equally few as 10 hours per week, but note that you will have to work a carnival bit more than that for the money to be worthwhile .
According to one driver we spoke to, splashing out the extra cash for a flashy car ( qualifying you as an Uber Exec driver ) is deserving it in the long run .
Ahmet, an Uber Exec driver from London, told Save the student :
Although you take the initial hit in having to buy a more expensive cable car to join Uber Exec, you take home way more money per ride than you do with UberX, meaning it works out better in the long run .
Earnings of Uber Eats deliverers
|London||Birmingham or Manchester||Rest of the UK|
|Picking up order||£1.10||£1.10||£1.50|
|Dropping off order||£0.80||£0.80||£0.50|
|Distance travelled for order (per mile)*||£1.10 – £1.30||£1 – £1.10||£1 – £1.10|
|Minimum fee before Uber service fee**||£2.80||£2.80||£3|
* Earnings per mile change depending on whether you use a motorcycle, motorbike or car.
** If you earn less than the minimum tip for your sphere for a pitch, the earnings will be topped up to the minimum sum before the service tip is applied .
Is it worth working with Uber?
Uber is a capital choice for a part-time job for students .
But from what we can see ( and from what we ‘ve heard from drivers ) if you do n’t already have a desirable cable car, it ‘s deserving thinking about whether this is the right option for you .
The extra expense of getting your own wheels as a driver means you ‘ll end up spending the first few years of your time at Uber driving precisely to pay off your car .
When we asked Ahmet if he ‘d recommend becoming an Uber driver to other students, he was truly cocksure. He told us :
I would truly, very recommend driving for Uber … it ‘s a great way to make some air pocket money on the side .
Every time I ‘d go to my supporter ‘s family in Harrow, I ‘d get a good do on the way out there since it ‘s on the outskirts of London. We would just chill and play some FIFA on the PlayStation, then before I ‘d leave, I ‘d fair open up the app and be able to make some money on my manner home .
Sounds pretty ideal !
And, since we chatted to Ahmet, Uber introduced a system to make it easier for drivers to find passengers heading in the lapp management as them .
Drivers can select up to two destinations a day. This means they ‘re paired up with riders who are going in the same direction as them ( in sheath they are heading home or want to make an appointment ).
Read more: How Much Does a Roof Replacement Cost?
Sign up to work with Uber »
Not sure if Uber’s right for you? See our top business ideas for more ways to be your own boss…