The timeline for lifting a credit freeze —sometimes known as a “ security freeze ” —depends on how you request it. According to the Federal Trade Commission, the three major citation bureaus are required to lift a freeze within one hour if the request is made on-line or by call. If you mail your request, they are required to lift the freeze within three commercial enterprise days of receiving your request. ( Mail is the necessitate method acting if you are requesting a citation freeze for a minor child. )
Ways to Unfreeze
Each credit chest of drawers has its own process for unfreezing credit reports. You may need to have the PIN you received when you initially froze your accredit .
Unfreezing Your accredit With Equifax
- Online: You’ll need to create a MyEquifax account if you haven’t already. You can unfreeze your credit, check the status of your request, or initiate a new credit freeze if necessary.
- By phone: Call 888-298-0045.
- By mail: You’ll need to download this form from Equifax. Equifax will lift the freeze once your identity is verified. Mail to Equifax Information Services LLC, P.O. Box 105788, Atlanta, GA 30348.
Unfreezing Your credit With Experian
- Online: You don’t need to create an account; there’s a simple form you can complete online.
- By phone: Call 888-397-3742.
- By mail: Mail to Experian Security Freeze, P.O. Box 9554, Allen, TX 75013.
Unfreezing Your credit With TransUnion
- Online: You’ll need to create an online account with TransUnion or go through the myTransUnion app.
- By phone: Call 888-909-8872.
- By mail: Mail your written request to TransUnion LLC, P.O. Box 160, Woodlyn, PA 19094.
Unfreezing your credit rating at one credit agency wo n’t unfreeze it at the early two. Unless you know which one your lender plans to contact, you ‘ll need to make the request at each agency to ensure there are no glitches when you apply for a lend.
Is There a room to Speed Up the work ?
An hour international relations and security network ’ metric ton long, but if you have an pressing necessitate for a credit thaw because you ‘re vying for a covet apartment rental or applying for a loanword to pay for an hand brake vet circular, you may be able to speed things up by explaining the circumstances to a telephone example at the credit chest of drawers. If you need to send in your request, you can pay extra for overnight mail .
You may besides be able to prepare ahead of time to minimize any delays or problems. TransUnion, for example, allows you to schedule the end of a accredit freeze 15 days in advance.
The Bottom Line
Unfreezing your credit is quick and barren, but there are a few things to remember :
- You can specify how long you want the freeze to be lifted—a day, a week, or more—or you can do it indefinitely. (As long as you know roughly how long your loan applications will take to process, setting a time frame is a good way to give yourself time to apply to multiple lenders to get the best rate.)
- If you opt for a temporary lift and know which credit bureau your lender will contact, you can save time by making your request at that bureau only. If you don’t know, make sure to contact all three bureaus.
- Don’t confuse a credit freeze with a credit lock. A lock is similar, but it can be applied or removed almost instantly either online or through a mobile app offered by the credit bureaus. Unlike a freeze, its protections aren’t guaranteed by law, and there may be a fee.
- A credit freeze only prevents a thief from opening a new account in your name. It doesn’t prevent him or her from making charges to your existing accounts. You still need to monitor all bank, credit card, and insurance statements for fraudulent transactions.
frequently Asked Questions ( FAQs )
How soon after freezing my credit can I unfreeze it?
Freezing and unfreezing your credit can be done a frequently as you like, but keep in thinker that it can take up to an hour for each process to occur. If you freeze your credit and then realize that you need to unfreeze it, wait at least an hour to ensure that your credit is amply frigid .
How can I unfreeze my credit if I forgot my code?
If you forget your PIN, you can either retrieve it or update it by logging into your history with the credit agency. Once you ‘re logged in, look for prompts like “ Request a personal identification act ” ( Experian ) or “ manage pin ” ( Transunion ) to complete this request.
How long does a credit freeze last if I don’t request an unfreeze?
A citation freeze typically lasts until you remove it .