- Available (in some form)
cook ? Let ’ s dig into these qualities and expect at tips to get you through the commercial enterprise name creation action.
( You can besides check out our agile video below ! )
1. Make it original
Being original can be chilling ( and difficult ) to do, but it ’ s all-important when naming your business — don ’ thymine be afraid to stand out from the push ! A million apps have names like Tinder, Grindr, Flickr, and Tumblr, so accept that your Stark-family-themed Game of Thrones app called Wintr will entirely get lost in the shuffle. As a new inauguration, your name needs to compel people to sit up and take notification rather than look up, look down, and forget you always existed. To generate a boatload of options to work with, don ’ thymine edit yourself during the brainstorm process — it ’ randomness all about a rid hang of ideas and imagination .
- Explore keywords. Twinword has an amazing detached keyword instrument
that can help you find inspiration for your name. If you type a keyword related to your business into its search field, it’ll give you a graph of all of the other words related to it. Fire away!
- Consult books. Use a hard copy of a dictionary for inspiration, or even one of your favorite novels. Flip through the pages and write down words that resonate with you, even if they’re not directly related to your business.
- Play it up.
Another way to achieve originality is with some deliciously fun wordplay. Have a look at these examples of companies with clever titles and think about what you could come up with for your brand identity. It’s a good idea starter! Examples:
Melon Cauli (fruit and vegetable store), Sole Man (shoe repairs), Spoon Me (frozen yogurt brand), and Sensibill (receipt management software).
2. Make it future-proof
One thing you don ’ triiodothyronine want to do is create a name that sabotages your future expansion plans or limits your reach. Let ’ s say, for example, that your company makes women ’ randomness shoes, but you think you ’ ll finally try to crack the male market. Having a appoint like Goddess Heels by Fiona wouldn ’ thyroxine be helpful.
One direction to future-proof your name — and get out of the remarkable “ this is the merchandise we make or matter we offer ” headspace — is to think about your company ’ south narrative, values, and key differentiators as you brainstorm .
- Get reflective.
How would you describe your company to others? What are you trying to accomplish? What feelings do you want to evoke in your customers? Do certain adjectives come to mind when you think about your business? What do you do differently? Grab a piece of paper and a pen and start writing it all down.
- Consider your offering.
If you’re a service-based business, having your service offering in the name can be helpful as a suffix (e.g. Scaling Upward Design).
- Keep it simple. A occupation name shouldn ’ metric ton be a mashup of words trying to accomplish besides many things — it needs to feel
good and evoke positive emotions and associations in you and your future customers.
- Aim for easy spelling. simpleton brand names are easier to spell—a huge plus when relying on on-line customers to remember your occupation and look you up or refer you !
3. Make it user-friendly
You have the first-round list of original business name ideas — now what ? It ’ s important to choose a mention that ’ second easy to say, spell, and type into Google — even if it ’ s a made-up discussion. many people aren ’ metric ton great spellers, and as of the time of writing this post, there ’ s no “ Did you mean to write this ? ” system in target for mistyped URLs in browser windows. Choosing a name that helps people find you promptly can put you ahead of the game. And remember : if customers can’t find you, they ’ ll end up finding person else !
- Impose creative constraints.
As you get deeper into brainstorming, limit yourself to coming up with names with only one word or two syllables — it’ll help you focus on coming up with punchier name ideas. Other constraints to try? Coming up with only alliterative names (hello, Squarespace and PayPal), or only ones that begin with verbs (e.g. Dropbox, Shopify).
- Test in different mediums. To see how your name ideas look and sound, put them into a logo blueprint, say them out loudly in a conversation ( or to yourself in the mirror ), and draft them in an e-mail signature. Making your ideas feel real will help you determine if they connect !
- Get feedback. Ask a few sure friends or syndicate members to weigh in on your name ideas. If you say a name and they immediately look baffled or barrage you with questions, you may want to rethink its user-friendliness .
- Check for language translation. The last thing you want is to name your business something that
The last thing you want is to name your business something that translates ailing in another language. Do a immediate Google search to make certain you aren ’ metric ton naming your mark after a body share or something unrefined .
Try out a business name in a logo design for free!
4. Make sure it’s available (in some form)
once you have a occupation mention theme ( or a few ) that you ’ re happy with, it ’ randomness time to do some dig. For SEO and legitimacy purposes, you want the name in your web site URL, therefore check if it ’ second available in .com shape. If not, you can choose from about a hundred options from .net to. co.uk to .tv — but again, a .com URL can give your business an publicize of legitimacy and bring in more traffic. The estimable newsworthiness ? Being creative will pay dividends because the more original your list, the more probable it is to be available as a web address .
- Check it. GoDaddy is a go-to tool for checking domain availability and letting you see your .com alternatives. Type your ideas in, hold your breath, and see if the names are taken (we hope not!). If they are, see what businesses or pages are at those addresses and take note. You can also do a trademark search — here are the resources for the U.S., Canada, and the U.K
- Don’t give up. If the domain is unavailable, you still have options. You can add a word at the start or end of your name — popular ones include “app,” “get,” and “hello.” If you’re a service-based industry, you can try adding your offering in the name.
- Look at social handles. After checking the domain name, take a look at Namechk to see if the name you want is taken in social handles, particularly on the channels you plan to use to build your business.
Tip: If your business is limited by geography, a country-specific URL is silent a great choice ( .ca, .uk ) — precisely make sure the content at the .com cover doesn ’ t conflict with your business. If the claim handle list is unavailable ( a likely scenario ), there are some easy fixes to try like adding a discussion or underline. Again, check the content of handles that come up in your searches to see who else is using the appoint .
5. Make sure you LOVE it
It goes without saying that you have to love your new commercial enterprise name and feel confident about putting it out into the earth. That ’ randomness why we recommend brainstorming batch of ideas and taking the time to mull them over before settling on a winner — don ’ thyroxine expect nightlong achiever ! The last thing to remember: Companies rebrand all the time, but doing thus monetary value time and money. Try your best to get the name properly on the beginning attack to ensure your business is off to a great begin .
What makes a good business name?
There are a few key elements to a very catchy business name .
- Evokes a feeling: Pottery Barn conveys a curation of rustic furniture through its name alone. Try to create a feeling through the use of imaginative and highly visual words.
- Sounds good: A good business name has a ring to it. Some names mix constants and vowels like Aritzia while others use rhythm to create a sense of flow like Flora and Fauna. Before finalizing your brand name, say it out loud and use it in conversation and listen to how it rolls off the tongue. Aim for under 5 syllables if you can!
- Speaks to your audience: A strong company name will resonate with its market. If you own a tech company, you might want to play off of words in your industry. BitBucket, 1Password, and CodeCov are all great examples of this.
- Memorable: In the world of infinite scrolling, you can have a memorable product or flashy ad, but it won’t help your customer if they can’t remember your brand name when they try to look you up later. What makes a business name memorable? It has rhythm or repetition, it’s a little abstract or quirky, it’s not too long, and of course— it looks good in a logo
6 Types of business names to choose from
somewhere in your brainstorming and research, you ’ ll indigence to choose the type of commercial enterprise list you ’ re after. Selecting one of these top five is a great topographic point to start .
1. Acronyms & abbreviations
A democratic choice for brands that want a shortstop, crispen business mention. Fun fact ! IKEA is actually an acronym that combines the initials of the collapse, Ingvar Kamprad, with the letters of the farm and village he grew up in, Elmtaryd and Agunnaryd. In 1963, CVS was founded as “ Consumer Value Store ” and was late abbreviated. When brainstorming, attend for some obvious names and words either about you or your product/service and see if they form any matter to acronym.
Examples of acronym clientele names :
- AT&T– American Telephone and Telegraph Company
- BMW– Bavarian Motor Works
- GEICO – Government Employees Insurance Company
- IBM – International Business Machines
- MAC – Make-up Art Cosmetics
2. Real people’s names
What better way to honor the person doing all the work behind the scenes than naming your company after yourself ! Using your name or a family identify as your business name is a authoritative choice and surely has longstanding baron. Think of McDonald’s or renowned design company Herman Miller. Using your list as a business name is a bang-up choice for consultants and contractors. But it has its cons as well. Doing this insists that you are the face of your mark at least for the beginning few years while getting started. It might besides limit how you expand your commercial enterprise down the road. Examples of businesses named after people :
- Air Jordan– Michael Jordan
- Addidas– Adi Dassler
- CLIFF Bar- Clifford Erickson
- Dyson– James Dyson
- Taco Bell– Glen Bell
3. Matter of fact
A ship’s company name that goes the obvious route of addressing the occupation ’ aim creates immediate clearness. With a identify like Village Juicery, Whole Foods, or Car2Go, it ’ randomness hard to miss what these companies offer to their consumers. This is a bang-up option for entrepreneurs who aim for simplicity when naming their business. And while they ’ re not precisely the most stimulate or attention-getting, their staying power is undeniable. Examples of commercial enterprise names that tell you about the business :
- Dunkin Donuts
- Pizza Hut
- The Shoe Company
Create your own compound word by merging two words you love together ! The party name Panera is actually a compound of the words “ pan ” ( meaning bread ) and “ earned run average ” ( meaning age or time ). Put them together and you ’ ve got “ age of boodle ”. Examples of intensify business names :
5. Made up word
Making up words is for big imaginations, but some of the biggest businesses out there are wholly made-up words. Think Haagen-Dazs means something in Dutch ? Think again. The american founders wanted to convey a blase, artisanal feel with their product. Making up a son provides you the opportunity to create a fun and out-of-the-box business name that is both memorable and alone. Consider your audience when making up a give voice for your commercial enterprise diagnose. You want it to sound like something they ’ d be intrigued by and opt to learn more about. Examples of unique company name using made up words :
6. Misspelled or missing vowels
While catchy looking and improper, misspelling or removing vowels from words to create a occupation name can come with its flaws. Removing vowels can make it harder to read and pronounce your business name. We dare you to try and pronounce BHLDN, a popular marriage attire sword ( it ’ second “ behold ” btw ). If you opt for this route, we suggest you work with a very simple, obvious name like Lyft, or Flikr. Examples of business names that are intentionally misspelled or missing a vowel :
- Cheez It
Creative business name examples
Looking for inspiration ? We ’ ve pulled a list of creative business names all created by our Business Name Generator. Feel loose to use these as inspiration for your own business diagnose ideas !
Creative restaurant business names
- flare On
- Pavilion & Pour
Creative consulting business names
- Oaks Consulting
- Living vitality
Creative Youtube channel names
Creative construction business names
- Forge tradition
- Forge & Form
Creative beauty business names
- Pose Aesthetics
Creative fashion business names
- Mist & Cloth
Creative photography business names
- Snap Momento
- Residing Life Photography
- 9Lives photography
- Until Tomorrow Photography
A great way to generate a company name
Coming up with great business appoint ideas can take up a surprising amount of your time. It ’ randomness annoying to get stuck at the inaugural step of building your business, which is why using a business list generator can be helpful . Looka ’ second Business Name Generator comes up with tons of business name ideas in seconds — then lets you check the world handiness, social handles, and preview the mention in a logo without having to leave the page. doubting ? We get it—you ’ ra finical ! Which is why we generate business name ideas in a variety of ways, including invented names, intensify words, and traditional names related to your industry. You can filter results by name length ( character count ) and get ideas for relate terms right under the search measure. It ’ s completely release and will save you thus much time.
p.s. Want to know more about building a mark ? Check out our brand identity steer !