If you own an iPhone, you might complete banking transactions immediately from it, such as transferring money or setting up automatic payments. You can even deposit checks plainly by taking pictures of them through the deposit app. many banks and citation unions offer the ability to use your phone ’ second camera and a impregnable application to save a travel to the ramify. If you ’ ve never done it before, here ’ s how the process works and what you need to do to deposit checks with your iPhone .
Reading: How to Deposit Checks With an iPhone
Can I Deposit Checks With My iPhone ?
In the past, only blue-ribbon banks allowed customers to deposit checks from their iPhone, but mobile bank is now increasingly common. In fact, the Federal Reserve reported that about half of adults in the United States with depository financial institution accounts used a mobile telephone to access their bank information .
not all banks and credit unions offer mobile bank apps or accept distant deposits. Owning an iPhone doesn ’ metric ton intend you can deposit checks with it ; your bank has to provide an application and offer the service .
To deposit checks with your iPhone, get an lotion for your bank. Call your deposit ’ randomness customer overhaul line, or visit its web site to find details about the application. If you ’ ve been using your bank ’ randomness application for a while, you may need to upgrade to a newer translation to deposit checks .
How to Deposit a Check in Six Steps
Depositing a check with your iPhone is amazingly easy. You can complete the process in six simpleton steps :
- Endorse the check: First, endorse the check so that it can be deposited into your account. Your bank may have specific instructions on how to endorse it properly. For example, Chase requires you to sign your name and write, “For electronic deposit at Chase only,” on the back of the check.
The app may even have a pop up on-screen that will tell you what information is needed.
- Click on deposit: Open your banking application, and choose the “Deposit” option (or something similar). You may have to provide information, such as the amount of the check, or the app may automatically read that information from the check. depends on your bank and the check writer’s handwriting.
- Take photos: Next, take photos of both the front and back of the check Most iPhone applications for depositing checks make it easy by telling you what to do, and when. A check-shaped window will appear, and you’ll center the check in it. As you snap a picture, your iPhone’s camera shutter should confirm that a photo was taken. For best results, place the check on a dark background in a well-lit room.
- Review the check information: After you take photos, confirm that they are clear. Again, your banking application will most likely guide you through this process, asking for verification before submitting the images. You may have to verify the account number and routing numbers, which the app will automatically read from the check. If something doesn’t look right, you can always take another picture.
- Submit the deposit: If everything looks okay, you can submit the transaction. Make sure you receive a confirmation from your bank on-screen or via email. If you don’t get a confirmation, call the bank immediately to report what happened.
- File the check: Finally, be sure not to deposit the check another time. Once you deposit a check with your iPhone, it’s off to the bank for processing. Your bank should provide instructions on how to handle the check. You may have to write, “Void or “Electronically presented” on it, keep it for 15 days, or destroy it. Follow those instructions to protect yourself and to avoid legal problems.
Is It Safe ?
You may wonder whether it ’ s safe to deposit checks with your iPhone. Any reputable depository financial institution will be certain that communication is encrypted and that thieves will not be able to pull your report details out of the airwaves. Depositing a hindrance is no riskier than viewing your account—you ’ ve already provided your login credentials. Making a check deposit is more hazardous for the person who wrote the confirmation, because their history and rout numbers are being photographed and transmitted. however, the risk is negligible and possibly not ampere significant as the risk of a paper check getting lost. That can happen whether it goes through the mail or you ’ re on your way to a outgrowth .
Keep your device up-to-date, and update your bank ‘s mobile app regularly to reduce the chances of problems.
frequently Asked Questions ( FAQs )
How long does mobile check deposit usually take?
If a down payment is accepted, the beginning $ 225 must be made available by the start of the next bank day. beyond that, the timeline is less rigid, but you can by and large expect the rest of the funds to be available within two business days.
Read more: How Much Does a Roof Replacement Cost?
Why did my mobile check deposit get rejected?
Some common reasons a mobile check mark sediment might get rejected include bleary photos, insufficient funds, and imposter prevention. Blurry photos are easy to correct by taking a second photograph, but if that is n’t the issue, then you may have to reach out to the bank or the person who wrote the check to learn more about why the down payment failed .