- 31 January 2023 for the 2020 to 2021 tax year
- 31 January 2024 for the 2021 to 2022 tax year
If you miss the deadline or if you need to make a variety to your tax return for any other tax year you ’ ll need to write to HMRC .
Your circular will be updated based on what you report. You may have to pay more tax or be able to claim a refund .
There ’ s a different procedure if you need to report foreign income.
Reading: If you need to change your return
Updating your tax return
How you update your tax reelect depends on how you filed it .
Online tax returns
- sign in using your Government Gateway user ID and password .
- From ‘ Your tax account ’, choose ’ Self Assessment account ’ ( if you do not see this, skip this gradation ) .
- Choose ‘ More Self Assessment details ’ .
- Choose ‘ At a glance ’ from the left menu .
- Choose ‘ Tax come back options ’ .
- Choose the tax year for the return you want to amend .
- Go into the tax return, make the corrections and file it again .
Paper tax returns
Download a newly tax return, and send HMRC the corrected pages. Write ‘ amendment ’ on each page, and include your name and Unique Taxpayer Reference ( UTR ) – this is on former tax returns or letters from HMRC.
Check your Self Assessment paperwork for the address. If you can not find this, send your corrections to the address for general Self Assessment enquiries .
If you used commercial software
Contact the software supplier for aid correcting your tax return. Contact HMRC if your software is not able to make corrections .
Write to HMRC
Write to HMRC if you need to make a change to your tax recurrence from the 2019 to 2020 tax year or earlier .
Include in your letter :
- the tax year you’re correcting
- why you think you’ve paid too much or little tax
- how much you think you’ve over or underpaid
You can claim a refund up to 4 years after the end of the tax year it relates to. If you ’ re making a claim, besides include in your letter :
- that you’re making a claim for ‘overpayment relief’
- proof that you’d paid tax through Self Assessment for the relevant period
- how you want to be repaid
- that you have not previously tried to claim back this refund
- a signed declaration saying that the details you’ve given are correct and complete to the best of your knowledge
Changes to your bill
You ’ ll see your amended beak straight away if you updated your tax return on-line. Within 3 days, your statement will besides show :
- the difference from the old one, so you can see whether you owe more or less tax
- any interest
To view this, augury in using your Government Gateway user ID and password and choose ‘ View statements ’ from the left-hand menu .
If you’re owed tax
To claim a refund, go to ‘ Request a refund ’ from the left menu within your HMRC on-line account. Allow 4 weeks for your refund to be sent to your bank account.
You may not get a refund if you have tax due in the adjacent 35 days ( for model for a requital on history ). rather, the money will be deducted from the tax you owe .
If you need to pay more tax
Your update bill will besides show :
- the deadline for paying
- the effect on any payments on account you need to make
HMRC will send you an update bill within 4 weeks. They ’ ll besides pay any refund directly into your bank report, adenine long as you included your bank details on your tax refund .