Both house physician and nonresident aliens may obtain ITINs careless of immigration condition. Nonresident and resident aliens, their spouses and dependents can apply for an ITIN if they are not eligible for an SSN. here ’ s who might need an ITIN :
- Nonresident aliens who are required to file a tax return
- Resident aliens who are required to file a tax return due to the number of days they reside in the U.S.
- Dependents or the spouse of a U.S. citizen or resident alien
- Dependents or spouse of nonresident alien visa holders
tax filers who live abroad can besides obtain an ITIN .
The ITIN is a nine-digit count that ‘s formatted similarly to an SSN. To apply for an ITIN, you must complete IRS Form W-7, Application for IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number. This single-page application will require your :
- Name and birth name, if different
- Birth date and birthplace
- Identification documents to accompany the application, such as a passport, driver’s license or state-issued ID
- Foreign status or immigration documents in original form or certified copies
If you ’ ve used an ITIN in the past, you must provide the anterior identification number on your application.
For most taxpayers, the due date to file an income tax return this year is April 18, 2022. Submitting an lotion past the tax ascribable date may result in interest or penalties, so apply for an ITIN either before your income tax tax return is due or at the prison term of file .
You should expect to hear second from the IRS about your approval condition after no more than seven weeks — expression for a letter in the mail with your ITIN when your application is approved .
Double-check your lotion for missing pieces of information or errors before you submit it, as applications that are incomplete ( for example, lacking proper identification or immigration documents ) can take longer than seven weeks to process. If seven weeks go by and you haven ’ t received a response, you can check the condition of your ITIN application by calling the IRS toll-free at 800-829-1040.
other options for applying for an ITIN :
- Apply by mail at: Internal Revenue Service, Austin Service Center, ITIN Operation, P.O. Box 149342, Austin, TX 78714-9342
- Apply in-person at a Certified Acceptance Agency or Taxpayer Acceptance Center
ITIN Expiration and Renewal
ITINs that have not been used on a tax return for Tax year 2018, Tax year 2019 or Tax year 2020 will expire December 31, 2021. Unless you will not need to file an income tax reappearance adjacent year, you will likely need to renew your ITIN if you fit either of the above two categories .
Remember, with TurboTax, we ‘ll ask you simple questions about your biography and assistant you fill out all the good tax forms. With TurboTax you can be confident your taxes are done right, from bare to complex tax returns, no matter what your situation .